Bilfinger Berger acquires leading international filter technology company

September 06, 2011

September 6, 2011

Bilfinger Berger acquires leading international filter technology company

Bilfinger Berger is expanding its range of services in environmental and water technology, and is acquiring the filter division of Diemme, a globally active specialist manufacturer located in Lugo, Italy. Through its subsidiary, Passavant-Geiger, Bilfinger Berger has been producing chamber filter presses for many years. With the acquisition, the company complements its current portfolio in water and waste treatment and becomes a technological leader in the supply of industrial filter presses. 

Diemme Filtration has an annual output volume of around €40 million and is highly profitable. Bilfinger Berger will acquire an initial stake of 80 percent in the family-owned business and has an option on the purchase of the remaining 20 percent. The experienced management team will remain with the company. The two parties have agreed not to disclose details of the purchase price. The acquisition is subject to approval from the relevant antitrust authorities. 

"With the new company, we are adding additional client groups, new markets, and a high level of technological competence to our existing business in environmental and water technology", explains Klaus Raps, the responsible Member of the Executive Board at Bilfinger Berger SE. Diemme is active in more than 20 countries, a number of them in Europe as well as India, Russia and South America, and primarily serves industrial clients while Passavant-Geiger has predominantly served public sector clients in the filter sector. 

Bilfinger Berger is investing in a growth market with this acquisition. Stricter environmental requirements and enhanced ecological awareness increase the demands placed on the treatment of industrial waste. A rising world population and constant urbanization are leading to new challenges in sewage treatment. New areas of application are also arising in raw material extraction for the oil industry or in the mining sector, for example. 

Filter presses are used to separate solids from liquids such as industrial sludge or municipal sewage water. In addition, they can assume a number of filtration tasks in production processes for the pharmaceutical, chemical and petrochemical as well as in the coal and steel industries. The services function will be carried out by Passavant-Geiger which remains connected to its client base through long-term maintenance contracts.

Environmental and water technology activities are part of Bilfinger Berger Facility Services. The company has many years of experience from over 15,000 installations and is a global leader in vacuum sanitation systems.