It is not uncommon in the process industry for thousands of plant P&IDs (Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams) to be either outdated, still analog or spread among disparate CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) systems. PIDGraph digitizes these P&IDs using artificial intelligence and converts them into CAE-compatible files.
One approach to creating a digital twin for an industrial plant is to digitize the P&IDs. Manually re-drawing plant documents in a digital format was previously very time-consuming and costly. PIDGraph makes for a much faster and more efficient approach. PIDGraph can process various formats including PDFs, AutoCAD and Microstation or image files. Using artificial intelligence, the web-based technology automatically recognizes the objects, tags and tables and converts them into an open, CAE-compatible format.
Using artificial intelligence, PIDGraph identifies the objects of a plant graphically represented on a P&ID.
Using PIDGraph, we are able to digitize a large volume of P&IDs quickly and efficiently. What is special about Bilfinger's offer is the quality guarantee: a trained technical draftsman with extensive experience in the process industry reviews the results of the AI. This means we can be sure that there will be no transmission errors.” (Harald Betteldorf, Project Manager responsible for rolling out COMOS at LANXESS).
- PIDGraph automates the digitization of P&IDs with its AI-based, source-agnostic approach
- 50% cost savings compared to conventional methods
- Central and efficient management of P&ID’s possible
- Easy access to information in a single reference database
- CAE compatible formats
- Consistent data allows for new optimization potentials in engineering, maintenance and operational processes
- PIDGraph recognizes not only the equipments and instruments of the plant, but also their interrelationships, which are represented by the connecting pipes and lines (graph structure)
- New insights can be gained by linking the graphs with other production data
With PIDGraph, Bilfinger has both the digital technology and the industry expertise to digitize P&IDs at a high level of quality.” (Sebastian Marquardt, PIDGraph Product Manager, Bilfinger Digital Next)
Scope: Quick and cost-effective digitization and migration of many P&IDs from heterogeneous locations and sources; Industry 4.0 solution scaled for the process industry: All P&IDs in a COMOS object-oriented database
- Regardless of sources, PIDGraph uses machine learning to automate the conversion process resulting in intelligent P&IDs
- The technical specifications from LANXESS for the migration are applied to the CAE tool Siemens COMOS
- Bilfinger's extensive expertise in process technology, COMOS and migrations are an important foundation
- Pilot is the basis for further scaling at various LANXESS sites to provide high-quality technical data for operational improvements
- 50% time savings
- 50% cost savings
- Increased quality of plant documentation
- Increased data transparency for projects and changes in the plant